So my husband and I have this addictive obsession lately… with Polaroids. We just can’t get enough. Which is wonderful because you instantly have this beautiful (when you get the setting right) little memory, but a problem can arise when you get back from a week-long trip and you have approximately sixty loose Polaroids.
We were trying to decide what to do with all these memories before we even made it back from our trip. And, after an hour or so shopping through our local craft shop and several Pinterest scrolls, I came up with this book page concoction that I’m rather satisfied with. So here’s what I did to display twenty-four of our 2″ x 3 1/2″ photos.
What you’ll need:
- 3/32″ x 3″ x 24″ wood (of course you can use whatever thickness and length you prefer; I liked how light these pieces are because I have to hang with Command hooks)
- Mod Podge
- Book pages
- Old gift card (for smoothing the book pages)
- Hot glue gun/sticks
- Exacto knife
- Gold finish
- Mini wooden clothespins
- Mini clamps
Let’s get started!
The craft itself is incredibly straight forward. I used the fifth book of Harry Potter (because I had it lying around from a previous craft and because my love for the series knows no bounds). Mod Podging can become a really overly meticulous craft if you let it, so, to save time, I did a whole page here and there down the length of a few of the boards and then sliced and diced in a few others. Just make sure to use that gift card to smooth out the pages as you adhere them or you’ll get those unattractive bubbles.
To trim the excess pages, I found it easiest to flip the boards over (before I applied the finishing coat of Mod Podge because it gets sticky for a while after) and trim them while baring down on some cardboard. But beware, if you do this too gruffly, the front can look slightly serrated where the fragile paper has ripped.
Once everything was trimmed and dried, I applied a wax metallic finish, but a dry brushing of acrylic paint should have a similar effect. I did like the wax, though. I had to apply a little bit of water to make things happen, but once I did, I like how it reacted with the Mod Podge, giving it an antique, but softly glistening look.
When I finished those steps my boards looked like this:
Then came the headache of measuring. Y’all. I have an English degree and no talent with fractions. Suffice it to say I basically ended up spacing six Polaroids evenly along the board and then I checked before I used the hot glue that it was centered.
I used mini clamps at the top because, when faced with how to hang them, my brilliant husband suggested them and they work perfectly if you don’t mind seeing the Command hook, but when you’re renting and have to keep the holes you put in the building to a minimum, you make a few compromises.
Another place where that gift card comes in handy is that ~surprise~ it’s the same size of a Polaroid! So I used that to help space everything out so I didn’t get hot glue strings all over our pictures. Look at those straight, centered lines!
And there you have it! The classic before/after image:
It doesn’t take up a massive amount of wall space, but the void beside the TV now has a more homey feel, so I’m happy with how it turned out and there’s definitely room to add more panels if I feel so inclined down the road.